Disabled man killed after wood stove sparks fire in 'near hoarding' house | News
ROCK HILL, SC (WBTV) - A disabled Rock Hill man, who was living in a house described as 'near hoarding,' was killed when a fire from a wood stove ignited a fire in his home. A firefighter also suffered minor injuries while fighting the fire.
According to Captain Rusty Myers, firefighters were called to a home along the 1600 block of Neely Road at 5:22 a.m. Friday morning to the report of a house fire and possible entrapment.
Captain Myers said a woman told emergency crews that her brother's home was on fire.
When crews arrived, they found the body of 58-year-old Ronnie Joe Wylie in the bedroom of the home.
According to a Rock Hill police report, Wylie's sister told police that he'd recently suffered a stroke and was disabled.
She told officers that she noticed smoke coming from her brother's home and went outside to see what was happening.
Crews say there were a lot of combustible material around a wood stove heater in the living room of the home. The combustibles caught fire and the flames quickly spread through the entire house.
The house was labeled as 'near hoarding' by crews on the scene, both inside the house and outside of the home. Crews say there was just too much stuff around the heater.
Captain Myers told WBTV there was no electricity and no utilities running to the home. Damage was estimated at nearly $30,000.
Wylie's brother said the family often expressed concern for his safety because of the conditions at his home. Wylie lived alone.
A Rock Hill firefighter who was called to the scene suffered minor injuries when he stepped through a hole in the house. He is expected to be okay.
Copyright 2011 WBTV. All rights reserved.